Tuesday, January 03, 2006

What "lah" you!

Where is your American accent?

...the second most asked question after my move home to K.L. (no doubt, the most dreaded question is "So, what are your plans now?")

It's rather interesting to me that no matter how much time I've spent in the States, the minute I step foot at KLIA, out comes my M'sian slang (or better known to some as Manglish). Okay very soon becomes Okay-lah; Hey becomes Oi; and the use of Manglish suffix very naturally takes place in my speech once again. Having said that, when I'm back in the States, it disappears like I've never known that strange language before. I don't think it necessary to speak with a foreign accent in your own country unless it is somewhat called for. We need to be able to adapt to new surroundings and for that matter, we do whatever it takes to blend in. I can understand it if one has spent most of his/her life abroad, but deliberately speak like a foreigner in your own country because you think it makes you a little classier than the other locals is atrocious. Really cannot tahan. Speaking proper English does not necessarily mean you have to speak like an American or British. Most of the time we make fools out of ourselves by saying silly things, with or without the lahs or ahs.

1 comment:

Yu Ann said...

Cheh, don't blame me-lar if I don't say too much of lahs when I go back to KL-ar ...