Thursday, April 20, 2006

Interview!

I have been waiting to post this entry. Finally, an update on the job hunt. After a few weeks of whoring (excuse the indecent term, but I cannot think of a better suited word) my resume around town and out of town, meetings are beginning to take place.

Went for my first interview last night. Actually, it was more of a tell-us-about-yourself meeting with the producers and artistic director of a production company. I cannot remember the last time I went for an interview but I know I couldn't have possibly been this unprepared. I DIDN'T HAVE A COMPLETE PORTFOLIO! Lets just say that most of the stuff are still packed away in boxes. The meeting was impromptu. I had 3 hours to get ready, so what did I do? Thank God for the internet, I managed to put together a folder (yes, laugh all you want) of production reviews and photos, etc.

I regret that I won't be able to disclose any details about the meeting as some of them are confidential but all I can say is that they are an impressive group of people and have a strong vision towards cultivating a love for the arts in the community. They are not government funded which proves to be a big setback in terms of development. But the company is 10 years old, has a huge following, has produced large scale productions and has managed to get funding from private sectors for each project thus far.

I wasn't there to interview for a specific job. But at the end of the meeting, I was invited to work on a show scheduled for September, and to my surprise, they also mentioned a full time position with them. I have two weeks to get back to them. It was a good meeting. They've given me some helpful insights on working in the arts here. I feel encouraged, and not at the same time. We are lacking in government support and funding big time. Even when there is funding, it is limited and often only for specific groups/genre. But I will leave all of that for another time.

So there. Here's your answer to this week's Have you got a job yet?

2 comments:

Damaso Rodriguez said...

Sounds great. Looking forward to the details!

melissa said...

Monkies: You know, you could be more encouraging like Damaso. :)
D: More details soon. Here's hoping to a few more interviews.