Sunday, February 12, 2006

Look, Ma! My "kum" got me a husband!

Day Fifteen or Chap Goh Meh:

The last day of Chinese New Year and the birthday of the God of Heaven. Single women throw oranges into the sea or river while eligible suitors wait below to catch or pick up the oranges. Tradition says the man who picks up the orange will marry the damsel who threw it. Lighting lanterns to generate yang energy and prayers at temples will ensure a prosperous New Year.

By Lee Lee Tan

Today is the last day of CNY (or Chap Goh Meh as we like to call it; sometimes referred to as the Chinese Valentine's Day). If you've checked out the links to CGM, you're probably thinking to yourself, "is SHE going to throw some tonight?" The answer is, "NO!" Are you crazy? I have better things to do. Mum once said to me while I was studying in the States, "Go throw some oranges into the ocean. After all, you're only 2 minutes away from it." Hah. Now, THAT is what I call a joke. I don't think anyone really takes this tradition seriously. Of course, us Chinese have tonnes of other traditions and beliefs when it comes to matchmaking.

For fellow M'sians who missed out on Reggie Lee's view of CGM in The Star today, here it is (click on it for a bigger version):

*Ah Lian

Another funny entry submitted by a young reader in today's Star:

Anyhow, one more day and it's back to reality - no more excuses for putting things aside because "it's still CNY!" or "wait-lah, only 3 more days to go."

So...GONG XI GONG XI one last time. Now... should I use the regular A4 size paper or the 8 1/2"x11" American size paper for my resume?

No comments: