Friday, May 26, 2006

"I cant. I have rehearsal."

Best excuse EVER to avoid social functions and gatherings with relatives.

Have officially accepted the job today. Company meeting on Sunday (aka meet and greet and get to know your stage manager nazi) and rehearsals begin the following week. The show opens on September 23rd at KLPAC and runs for approximately 3 weeks.

Am I excited? Yes and no. Yes, because this will mark my first Asian production and Dama Orchestra is notably one of the best theatre companies around which has a reputation for producing good work; and no, because I will be missing Sarah's wedding in LA which falls on opening night (am not sure what's causing this stroke of bad luck with conflicts between very important dates in my life and work. Am thinking that designing and a full time job in management will be a good choice for the future.)

It's been 3 years since I've stage managed a full blown production. I can hear you - Jeff, Lee, Dustin - 'ah, easy-peasy.' Um. Yeah. Easy-peasy. I forgot to mention that it's a full blown musical in CHINESE. I do not read Chinese. Well, maybe I do, but very minimal. The next few months are going to be rather exciting. Come to think of it - how am I going to prompt?

Still, after 5 months of bumming around, travelling, annoying mum, and having my eyes glued to the idiot box, it is time to engage myself in the world of theatre again. And I am quite excited about working with this group of people really. Surprisingly, they made me a pretty reasonable offer. I say reasonable because we all know what pay is like in our field. So when one says it's reasonable, it is usually a good sign.

Set designers - have you come across anyone who can design a set using Excel...to scale? (and ultimately have it constructed based on those plans) If you haven't, remind me to enlighten you on that subject the next time we chat.

1 comment:

Damaso Rodriguez said...

Congrats! Thanks for the update.